I’ll Be Good To You (With Chaka Khan, Quincy Jones)
Single3 (A, part 1; B, part 2): Qwest 22697, October 1989.
Single3 (12″ Maxi CD): Quest 0-21408, 1989.
Music clip: see this.
Album3 (LP, CD): Quincy Jones, Back On The Block, Quest 26020, 1989.
Lead vocals – Chaka Khan, Ray Charles; guitar – George Johnson; bass – Louis Johnson; keyboards – David Paich, Greg Phillinganes, Ian Prince; drums – Harvey Mason; drum sounds – Bruce Swedien; backing vocals – George Johnson, James Ingram, James Gilstrap, Louis Johnson, Phil Perry, Siedah Garrett, Syreeta Wright; programmed by – Ian Underwood, Larry Williams, Michael Boddicker, Steve Porcaro; arranged by – Quincy Jones.
Update 13.02.2021: the video of this performance is no longer available on YouTube, please let me know in the comments below if you have any footage, thanks — Cyd
I’ve counted up to 8 remixes floating around, but th Maxi CD mentioned above had 5. The 4-minute videoclip of the song was based on the album release, but the single that made it for the charts actually was a compilation of the longer remixes:
- 12″ Remix (8:06)
- 12″ Remix Dub
- Good For Your Soul Mix (8:18): additional production and remix by Arthur Baker for ABI. Rap written and performed by Skam. Programming by Mac Quayle. Mix engineer: Mark Plati at Shakedown Sound. Edits By Charlie Barbie and Vic.
- Good For Your Soul Dub (4:45)
- Around The House Mix: details as Soul mix, plus: edits by Oh Oh Omar Santana.
- Around The House Dub
The 33 1/3 vinyl version reproduced in the soundclip below specifies 3 of the mixes in yet another order:
- 12″ Remix 8:06
- Good For Your Soul Mix 8:18
- Good For Your Soul Dub 4:45
The label of this promo CD tells that there was also a 4:17 mix of the single version, plus an instrumental version with the same duration: